Sunday, February 8, 2009

Master Follies 2009 - mixed feelings

Our family attended MF last night at LCU. As always, homecoming is a great time to see old friends and get updated on all the events since last year.

This was Bryna's first time to attend Master Follies and at age 7 months, I will say she did fairly well. She enjoyed all the lights & music and the big screen images...but all the alumni screaming before and after each club show tipped her right over the edge. Crawdad took her to the back and she fell asleep and took a little nap in the midst of the bedlam! That reminded me of her mom & auntie H who would bring their favorite quilts with them to the show and just go to sleep on the floor under their seats!! The Crawford women play hard and when they hit a wall...they do the coma.

Her favorite part was at the end of the show while the band played and all the clubs danced awaiting the results...but I think it was the mirror ball that captured her heart! Maybe she'll need one in her room...LOL!

The hosts and hostesses are all extremely talented and looked like they were really enjoying themselves on stage. BUT THE BAND!!! Oh my word, they were beyond description....suffice to say, if you missed it...well, you missed something really fabulous. In my humble-but-not-always-impartial opinion, they stole the show. At New Year's, when the family was over at our house for "Rogers Family Christmas," Byron was working on the score for several of the songs...so I had a sneak preview! My little brother is a very talented arranger - that's all I have to say on that subject.

Congratulations to Koinonia and CD"s for taking first place! And again to Koinonia for Special Effects! AND again to Koinonia for People's Choice! CD's roadkill theme made this old purple heart laugh out loud...and Michelle McDonald...girl, you kicked you-know-what with your dance moves! Koinonia's "marching band going to a battle of the bands contest" was very well done in every detail...congrats Jacob Parnell for writing and directing this show-stopper!

I enjoyed all the clubs - and was able to see their unique personalities and traditions - which is always fun. But...and here comes the only negative...I'm not a big fan of the recorded music! Especially when you try to sing your (probably) very funny lyrics along with them...these old ears missed a LOT of what you worked so hard on! Save the recorded music for the (hopefully short) "speed drill/dance" section of your routine. I am one alumni who is a sucker for the clever use of familiar music with revised lyrics! Can we have more of that next year?!

No comments: