Friday, July 6, 2007
Oreos Gone Bad
Lunch with my grandmother (Baba Rogers) at her house was always tuna salad sandwiches, fritos and oreos for dessert. I love all 3 of those delicacies!! Although, I must admit, they are probably part of the reason for my girth to this date...oh well. When I was a little girl, the cookie part was crisper and better tasting. These were the days before we knew how bad "real" food was for us - like butter & lard - yes, lard (I know, gross)! Now they use trans fats and/or some other poor substitute for real fat and consequently, the cookies just don't taste all that good. For that matter, the white stuff has also changed over these 40+ years for some of the same reasons. At any rate, it was true then and remains true now that the middle of the Oreo is the best part. Why am I droning on about Oreos? Well, my life right now is an ongoing analogy to our dear sandwich cookie...but all gone wrong...the Oreo from the "hot" place! Sandwiched between two VERY expensive repairs to my car (less than a week apart) is a bone-rattling/arm-wrenching personal injury. Yes, on Wednesday, 6/27, after turning my car in for repairs (oil & transmission fluid leaks), I fell between two floor joists at the house slamming my back into one of the beams, whiplashing my neck, and doing something interesting to my left shoulder & arm. I was just beginning to think the pain is actually getting better (with frequent trips to my chiropractor). BUT yesterday, 7/5, the car had to go back to the shop (for brake issues this time). To top it all all off, I had to take my dog to the vet for a serious injury to her eye - she's on antibiotic & atropine eye meds now! When it rains, it pours?! So, if someone would just please twist this cookie apart & scrape out all the "good" part and throw away the "bad", I'd be grateful!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment