Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Lessons from the Road

After getting out of ICU (for major repairs of her power steering something-or-other and her oil pressure thing-a-ma-jig) and immediately getting 4 new tires, my car - Chrysler - is testing her new-found (& very expensive) "health" as she & I are hitting the road almost every working day this month. Thank God for weekends - when I may actually be able to spend time at home.

The road between Lubbock and Odessa was yesterday's adventure. I am convinced that God specifically chose West Texas for my home - where the horizons invite in every direction and the highways are straight and not too heavily travelled. Yesterday, Chrysler and I set out at 5:30am (yes, there is actually oxygen to breathe at that horrid hour), spend the day with our friends at the Odessa Accolade Home Care location, drove back to Lubbock for Prairie Winds Chorus rehearsal, and hit the driveway at home about 10:30pm. When your commute to work is 2.5 hours - one way - God has alot to say. He reminded me through my Ipod and Chrysler's speakers that "When you're lost, you can look, and you will find me...time after time" ... "who would have thought that a Lamb could rescue the souls of men?" ... "if my God is with me, whom then shall I fear?" ... "I want to leave a legacy, how will they remember me?"

Eight hours of sleep. Wonderful. Pot of coffee. Blissful. Ready to hit the road again.

This morning, the sun slept behind some well-placed clouds as Chrysler and I set foot (& tires) toward Denton. Perfect weather to put the top down. Nothing between me and God's presents (& His presence, for that matter). Five hours on the road today...spent talking to myself and Whomever might be listening in, interested in my thoughts...rehearsing timing on tomorrow's new workshop...commenting on the beauty as Chrysler and I dropped off the caprock near Crosbyton and later crossed the lake at Runaway Bay (breathtaking every time)...praying for family, friends, and co-workers. Chrysler is a quiet, patient, and faithful friend.

Headed to bed now. Blessed. Tomorrow an expected audience of 90-plus. Stressful.

No travel until Thursday...Chrysler celebrated 150,000 miles on this journey...she deserves a rest.

No comments: